New in 2017: two sessions!
June 3-8 and June 17-22 – St. Simons Island, Ga.
TALON is a one-of-a kind camp for teens with a strong interest in the outdoors, birding and ecology. Each day the adventure begins as we travel by charter bus to barrier islands, state parks, wildlife management areas and refuges along Georgia’s coast. Evening classes challenge our campers with presentations and quizzes about bird identification, songs, behavior, flight, migration and other “birdy” topics. At camp’s end we come home with new and improved birding skills, a better understanding of coastal ecology, and great memories!
Small Camps ~ Exceptional Experience
- Length of each camp: 6 days, 5 nights.
- Availability: Space for 16 campers at each session.
- Serious students: For beginning to experienced birders who don’t mind long, hot, sometimes “buggy” days on beaches and marshes.
- Ages: Boys and girls ages 13-17. Older birders who have attended before may be eligible for internships.
- 3:1 student/teacher ratio. Trips, classes led by biologists, ornithologists and environmental educators, each with 20+ years of experience.
- Sponsors: Georgia DNR, The Environmental Resources Network (TERN), Georgia Ornithological Society and Atlanta Audubon Society.
- Base camp: Epworth by the Sea on St. Simons Island.
- June 3-8 session – Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge, Jekyll Island, Ft. Stewart, Altamaha Wildlife Management Area, Andrews Island, Sapelo Island, Harris Neck NWR.
- June 17-22 session – Cumberland Island, Jekyll Island, Little St. Simons Island, Altamaha and Altama WMAs, Sapelo Island, Richmond Hill Water Treatment Facility.
- $425 Early registration now to April 7 (balance due April 7).
- $500 April 8-May 5 (balance due May 5).
- Registration fees include a $100 non-refundable deposit.
- Registration form
For more information on Camp TALON, or a printable flyer, contact:
TALON is a one-of-a kind camp for teens with a strong interest in the outdoors, birding and ecology.